INDIANAPOLIS — April 2, 2020 — Strada Education Network, a national social impact organization dedicated to forging pathways between education and employment, has released new data from a nationally representative sample of Americans on COVID-19’s impact on their work and education.
“Nearly half of all Americans already are reporting financial impacts as a result of the pandemic,” said Dave Clayton, Senior Vice President, Consumer Insights at Strada Education Network. “By tracking consumer sentiment weekly during this unprecedented time, we hope to provide insights that can inform the response of policymakers and education providers, as well as identify the emerging role of education in economic recovery. For example, we’re hearing that one in three respondents say if they lost their job due to COVID-19, they would need additional education or training to obtain a comparable job.”
The Public Viewpoint: COVID-19 Work and Education Survey key findings include:
- 46 percent of individuals surveyed report they have lost their job or have had their income reduced due to COVID-19.
- More than half of Americans are worried about losing their job as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- One-third of individuals surveyed think that if they lost their job, they would need additional education and training to get a comparable job.
- Two out of three Americans say that in times of economic uncertainty, getting more education is essential.
- When asked how individuals would invest $5,000 in their future education or training:
- 26% said they would spend those funds with an online college or university;
- 18% said apprenticeship or internship with a local employer;
- 17% said online community college;
- 15% said in-person college or university;
- 13% said in-person community college; and
- 11% said online education with another provider.
The Public Viewpoint is produced by Strada Education Network’s Center for Consumer Insights, a research team that studies the experiences and perceptions of American adults in order to inform the development of a more consumer-centered learning ecosystem. The Center for Consumer Insights, provides the nation’s only education consumer database, which includes more than 350,000 completed surveys about the education and work experiences of American adults.
About Strada Education Network
Strada Education Network is a national social impact organization dedicated to improving lives by forging clearer and more purposeful pathways between education and employment. The Network engages partners across education, nonprofits, business, and government to focus relentlessly on students’ success throughout all phases of their working lives. Together, we address critical college to career challenges through strategic philanthropy, research and insights, and mission-aligned affiliates. Learn more at stradaeducation.org.